Show Notes - Ideas to Pack in School Lunch
- Hard boiled eggs just make sure it's packed on ice
- Low sodium lunch meats, beef, turkey or ham just make sure it's packed on ice
- Pasta with garbanzo beans, or black beans, or red beans, with light Italian dressing and basil. Put some vegetables mixed in or on the side.
- Edamame are soybeans in the pod, which commonly are found in the cuisines of Japan, China, and Hawaii. They are a great source of protein, but have a natural sweet taste. Put them in a baggie and kids love them.
- Fruits and Vegetables should always be a part of your child's lunch. Combine the fruits and vegetables into one container, this will ensure your kids eat a little of everything.
- Avocado with jicama and a little paprika, don't forget the lime juice to keep the avocado from turning brown.
- Baby carrots or shredded carrots mixed with dried cherries or cranberries or raisins. Kids also love cinnamon sprinkled on top.
- If you buy canned or packaged fruit, buy the unsweetened (no sugar added).
- Drinks, stay away from pouched and sugar added drinks, get fat free milk chocolate or white, 100% juice boxes, or water.
No Sweet or Peanut Snack ideas?
- Buy or make a fruit and vegetable platter, use 'no sugar added' apple sauce for dips with cinnamon sprinkled on top.
- Chocolate pudding with skim milk as a dipper for strawberries, cherries or pear slices.